Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Music Review--- Kanye West- 808's and Heartbreak

Ok,

When I first heard Kanye West perform 'Love Lockdown' on the 2008 VMAs, I was completely confused about what I was hearing. Kanye West using the Autotune singing device singing some sad song over tribal drums. After reading a couple interviews and actually locking myself from the world and listening to the music, it really touched my soul. Love Lockdown was the tip of the iceberg and leak after leak, song after song, drum after drum, I finally realized Kanye was absolutely punishing this pop music thing.

808's and Heartbreak will not be coming out until Monday but I downloaded the entire album from a reliable source a few days ago and after listening to every track about 5 times that I will gladly go out and buy my first album since Lil' Wayne's Tha Carter III on Monday. I feel that strongly about this album, it is a killer. I love every single song for different reasons. Every song has at least 4 stars for me. Now...for the actual review...


1. Say You Will- awesome intro...there are long periods of time with no lyrics and I like it, it really gets you thinking-- 4 and a half stars ****1/2

2. Welcome To Heartbreak (feat. Kid Cudi)- Kid Cudi did an incredible job on the hook and the lyrics on the verses made up for a mediocre beat...awesome job Kanye West-- 4 stars****

3. Heartless- My favorite beat on the album because it is the most hip-hop and not that much AutoTune...I love the whistles mixed with tribal drums veryyy classic...-- 5 stars*****

4. Amazing (feat. Young Jeezy)- This song STAYS on repeat in my room...the AutoTune is prefect, the bass is rediculous, insane tribal drums, Young Jeezy killed his part and I love the eerie part before Jeezy goes on-- 5 stars*****

5. Love Lockdown- The song that started it all, but not my favorite out of the bunch...the tribal drums were changed like 5 times but the lyrics are incredible...I HATED this song at first but now it stays in my head-- 4 stars****

6. Paranoid (feat. Mr. Hudson)- One of my favorite joints because it reminds me of Michael Jackson mixed with Daft Punk and Mr. Hudson on the hook is awesome...absolutely awesome, debatable as one of my 2nd favorites-- 5 stars*****

7. RoboCop- motherfuckin RoboCop...i have to admit that I didn't like the version that leaked out a few weeks ago but this new version that is on the album is incredible thanks to Herbie Hancock...the robot effects in the background of the beat are freakin' awesome and the AutoTune blended incredibly-- 4 1/2 stars****1/2

8. Street Lights--lyrically THE best song on the album, i love the pianos but the beat is extremely eerie...but the tribal drums truly make up for eeriness...when I downloaded this song I instantly fell in love with the lyrics-- 4 1/2 stars****1/2

9. Bad News--my least favorite on the album for no particular reason, the drums are awesome, the lyrics are ok and overall the song is pretty awesome, but definitely my least favorite-- 4 stars****

10. See You In My Nightmares (feat. Lil Wayne)- HOLY SHIT for once Lil Wayne did an incredible record thanks to AutoTune and Kanye West. EVERYTHING about this song is crazyyy. I had to take the beat and make a whole new track with it because I loved it that much. Wayne killed and Kanye killed... the end-- 5 stars*****

11. Coldest Winter- incredible sample from the song 'Memories Fade' by the band Tears for Fear with awesome tribal drums and incredible lyrics. The song is based on his mom and I love it-- 4 1/2 stars

12. Pinocchio Story- A crazy freestyle that he did on stage in Singapore, it started crazy slow but it ended crazy...powerful track and the crowd in the background gave it an incredible effect...love it-- 4 1/2 stars****1/2

I'm about to listen to the album all the way through and go to bed. Overall this album was incredible work and I love it. True Kanye fans are getting a treat November 24th...know that
Good Night
R.B.

No comments: